1. Should it be organic (piano, Rhodes etc.) or electronic?
2. Is it going to stick out or sit under?
3. Will it be warm/harsh/rhythmic/stagnant/close/distant?
4. Does it work with everything else going on or is it just clutter?
5. Is it a distraction and taking attention away from what’s happening?
6. Will it be realistic to pull off live, does it rely on too many layers or automation?
7. Is it necessary for live or just for the album?
8. If it’s an easily identifiable sound; can the other keys players use the same sound? (Consistency helps.)
9. Does it stay within the tonality of the project and where we are heading?
10. Will everyone like it or is it just for myself?