“There are numerous books on communication and as a teacher I enjoy them all. The first requirement of a teacher is a love of learning – if we lose the passion for learning we forfeit the right to teach. So every book on communication has something to teach us, nonetheless, I have found these books to be particularly helpful.”
Spirit-Led Preaching by Greg Heisler
- An inspiring book that re-visits the vital role of the Holy Spirit in preaching.
Preaching to a Postmodern World by Graham Johnston
- A helpful book on the challenges of communication in a postmodern world.
The Language of Leadership by James C. Humes
- A practical book on the practice of public speaking in the context of leadership.
Christ-Centred Preaching by Bryan Chappell
- A challenging book on how to keep the cross of Christ central in our preaching.
Made to Stick by Chip & Dan Heath
- A practical book on teaching, telling stories and making messages memorable.
How to Read the Bible for All It’s Worth by Gordon Fee & Douglas Stuart
- A foundational book that explains the rules of good Biblical interpretation.
Communicating for Change by Andy Stanley & Lane Jones
- A provocative book which challenges traditional preaching styles.
Everyone Communicates. Few Connect by John C. Maxwell
- A leadership book which highlights the skills of effective communication.
Saving Eutychus by Gary Millar & Phil Campbell
- An accessible book on the basics of sermon structure and Biblical preaching.
Talk Like TED by Carmine Gallo
- An excellent book on nine tips of public speaking with TED as a template.
Preaching by Timothy Keller
- An excellent, inspiring and well-researched book on expository preaching.
The Seven Laws of the Learner by Bruce Wilkinson
- A comprehensive book about the principles and practice of teaching.
For further training from Pastor Robert Fergusson, the Hillsong Leadership Network Portal includes recordings of webinars and lectures delivered by Robert on the topic of preaching, teaching and communication. To gain instant access as a complimentary ‘Associate’, click below: