I love the idea of a Creative Autobiography … everybody has a story to their creative journey, and they are many and varied.
I adapted this (slightly) from Twyla Tharp’s amazing book, ‘The Creative Habit’. I thoroughly recommend getting hold of it – it’s one of the books that shaped my view on the stewardship of your creative gift, and staple in any creative labs I do.
The idea of a creative biography is really exciting, as it explains where you’ve been, and also can help predict where you’re going next… It’s a remarkably worthwhile exercise for anyone to undertake.
Pour yourself some coffee, settle down with pen and paper (it just feels better for things like this), and take a few minutes to unpack your creative journey.
- What is the first creative moment you remember?
- Was anyone there to witness or appreciate it?
- What is the best idea you’ve ever had?
- What made it great in your mind?
- What is the dumbest idea?
- What made it stupid?
- Can you connect the dots that led you to this idea?
- What is your creative ambition?
- What are the obstacles to this ambition?
- What are the vital steps to achieving this ambition?
- How do you begin your day?
- What are your habits? What patterns do you repeat?
- Describe your first successful creative act.
- Describe your second successful creative act.
- Compare them.
- What are your attitudes toward: money, power, praise, rivals, work, play?
- Which artists do you admire most?
- Why are they your role models?
- What do you and your role models have in common?
- Does anyone in your life regularly inspire you?
- Who is your muse?
- Define muse.
- When confronted with superior intelligence or talent, how do you respond?
- When faced with stupidity, hostility, intransigence, laziness, or indifference in others, how do you respond?
- When faced with impending success or the threat of failure, how do you respond?
- When you work, do you love the process or the result?
- At what moments do you feel your reach exceeds your grasp?
- What is your ideal creative activity?
- What is your greatest fear?
- What is the likelihood of either of the answers to the previous two questions happening?
- Which of your answers would you most like to change?
- What is your idea of mastery?
- What is your greatest dream?
What do you think? Did you discover anything about yourself?? Let me know, I’d love to hear 🙂