Why do we structure checks the way we do?
- We ultimately want to release the platform team to do what they are called to, without them concerning themselves with the details of our responsibilities.
- Every service is made up of different moments all linked together to create a unified experience. Soundchecks are structured to ensure each engineer has had the opportunity and time to test everything they need to successfully navigate a complete service.
- In order to convey the message from the platform clearly in both spirit and content without the distraction of technical or operational shortcomings.
0:00 – CREATIVE TECHNOLOGY CREW READY TO GO
- Power up the system & perform appropriate tests.
- Test all lines of communication (comms / talk-back / MD mics etc).
- Complete MC / preacher mic checks – know your headroom you have on a
mic, and always check worst-case scenario (preacher speaking from the
- Check mic placements on instruments – (performed by FOH with input
from other engineers where needed).
0:15- MUSICIAN SOUNDCHECK
- Learn how the soundcheck flows.
- Band check (band play a familiar song giving FOH / monitors / broadcast
time to establish mixes).
- Band in-ears adjustments – monitors (vocals load onto stage at this time).
0:45- VOCAL CHECK
- Vocal check and first song, followed then by initial mix adjustments.
- Vocal check -FOH/ monitors / broadcast
- Band / vocal check (band and vocals play/sing a familiar song and mixes
are established further) -FOH/ monitors / broadcast
- Vocals in-ears check – monitors.
0:55 -WHOLE CREATIVE TEAM BRIEFING
1:05 – LINK CHECK
1:20 – REHEARSAL / HANDOVER TO MUSIC DIRECTOR
1:53 – BAND / VOCALS PLAY FIRST PART OF FIRST SONG
1:55 – POST REHEARSAL
- Band / vocals clear stage
- Preacher look check
- Check videos
- Tidy stage
- Battery change for wireless components
- Fitting of headset mic if needed
2:05 – DOORS OPEN
This content is taken from the Hillsong ‘Creative Technology Roles’guide that covers 10 key creative technology roles in our church, the cultural responsibilities of our team and even practical soundcheck tips.
If you would like to download the full 26-page guide, plus access over 600 online resources and event invitations from the Hillsong Leadership Network, join as a complimentary ‘Associate’ by clicking below.