As per the requirements set by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), you would have to demonstrate your English proficiency/ language skills. You do not have to provide proof IF one of the following applies to you:
- You are enrolled in full-time school studies as a principal course including in a secondary exchange program, a postgraduate research course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), and Foreign Affairs or Defense sponsored students
- You have completed at least five years’ study (and can provide the transcripts) in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
- You are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland
Please provide us with proof of your English proficiency/ language skills by one of the following methods:
- English Test
- IELTS (minimum 5.5 on the General test with no individual score below 5.0)
- TOEFL iBT (minimum 48 with no individual score below 12)
- TOEFL PBT (minimum 527)
- TOEFL ITP (minimum 563)
- PTE Academic (minimum 42)
- CAE (minimum 47)
- FCE (minimum B2/162)
- English Study in one of the following countries for 5 years (provide transcripts):
- Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States
- within two years of your application date have successfully completed in Australia
- a foundation course
- a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education
- a substantial part of a Certificate IV or higher level qualification, from the Australian Qualifications Framework.
The most common evidence of English Proficiency we receive are the IELTS and TOEFL exams. We recommend visiting their websites to find out more information regarding the tests.
You must have taken the English language test in the 2 years before you apply for a student visa.
For more information on these requirements please see the Department of Home Affairs Website.