On a rainy day, after having our diner, my husband went out to buy some groceries at the supermarket while I stayed with my 4-year old daughter at home. Upon returning, my husband realized that the house key was missing. Our house key had a tag with our home address written on it. Finding the key in a big crowded supermarket seemed impossible to us. We were worried. Our daughter, who overheard the conversation, came near to me and said “Mummy, let’s worship together”. I knew it then, that it was the word from the Holy Spirit. As we started singing, our daughter prayed earnestly with all her heart. While having a time of worship, we commanded our guardian angels to keep our key safe. The next day, my husband went back to the supermarket to find the key with the security team. Miraculously, we got it back! Imagine, a house key, with the address written on it, lost in a supermarket, was found and returned safely. We praised Jesus that day for giving our daughter an opportunity to witness her prayer being answered in her life.
Yes, there is power when you pray in agreement. There is power in worshipping God as a family in unity. Family is the foundational institution of society ordained by God, constituted by marriage, composed of persons related to each other by marriage, blood or adoption. In Genesis 1:28 – God blessed them (Adam and Eve) and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the Earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground”. God’s original design for the family (mankind) is to rule and to reign over the earth. When Adam sinned against God, he lost all his authority to rule and reign over the earth. But through the finished work of Jesus on the cross, everything is restored back to us in double-fold. Dear family, you are called to rule and to reign. Amen!
We as parents have a deep desire for our kids to know the Lord. We want the best for them. When God looks at us, He looks at our generations as well. So how do you introduce our childre to a culture of family worship? How do you make “Family worship” a lifestyle? Firstly, let me clarify that no family is perfect. Everyone goes through challenging times with raising children and rough periods when our kids are not cooperative. But that doesn’t mean it is impossible. Isaiah 54:13 says “All your children will be taught by the Lord and great will be their peace”. Indeed, the Holy Spirit will teach our children. How? There can be many ways but it all starts at home. You may think that your home is imperfect. No worries at all! That’s normal. Here are some practical ways that we implemented through the wisdom of the Holy Spirit and it has made our family worship easier and brought so much peace into our lives.
1. Let the kids know whom you trust: When there are small issues, involve the children and talk to them about it. Let them know that you are trusting the Lord for it. Children rely on us for everything and when they know that our source of trust is Jesus, and we rely on Him for everything then it will create a curiosity in them to know more about Jesus naturally.
2. Create an atmosphere of faith: During stressful situations, we (myself and my husband) have decided that we will not speak negative words through our emotions but rather create an atmosphere of faith and maintain it by speaking God’s word at home at all times. When we feel low, we nourish ourselves by hearing God’s word as we know that faith comes by hearing the word of God. This will allow our kids to notice our unshakable faith during the most uncertain times.
3. Get to know what is in your child’s heart: Often, our prayer time starts at the dining table when we dine together. During our conversation we just check with our daughter, what made her sad that day (that will be our prayer request) and what made her happy that day (that will be a praise point). This is one way how you know what your children hide in their heart without even them realizing it. Once we know we immediately pray together about it.
4. Value your child’s heart: Children (including my daughter) love bedtime stories. I take that as an opportunity to create a story that relates to her current situation (whatever she’s dealing with – eg: school, friends, studies etc.) by adding biblical principles to it and ask her to bring it before God and end it with a tiny prayer. When we bring their requests in prayer, they will know that they are valued and loved by God and parents. Intimacy with the Holy Spirit slowly begins from here. Our daughter is now 6-years old. Over time, I found that she started dealing with her issues at school by herself and started telling us stories of how she succeeded by having a small talk with the Holy Spirit. There cannot be any greater investment for our children than seeing them experience Jesus in their day-to-day life. When they learn to put their confidence in God, they will become as bold as a lion to face any obstacle that comes on their way and they will be able to triumph over it. Nothing can defeat them!
5. Be a positive influence to your children: Actions speak louder than words. Our kids reflect us. When they see us gaining victory by praying, declaring and standing in faith over a situation, it will develop faith and confidence in Jesus without even teaching them. When they experience Jesus as a superhero and that He is the solution for every problem, gathering for a family worship time will become more interesting and inspiring. Forgiveness, joy and peace will start to dominate our families. Before our children are influenced by the world, let them be influenced by God through our family.
You might be reading this blog with a lot of brokenness in your family. If so, then this word is for you, Isaiah 61:4 “They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations”. God has called you to restore, to rebuild and to renew all the brokenness in and around you by reigning and ruling over the situation with the authority that God has given you in Christ as the child of the Most High God. Trust in the power of the Holy Spirit and be patient. Your life will never be the same again. Soon you and your family will worship the Lord together in peace and in unity and not only that, God will also bring forth a godly generation through you and use them for His glory. Amen!