Hillsong is a contemporary Christian church, a global movement positioned at the intersection of Christianity and culture, founded in 1983 by Pastors Brian and Bobbie Houston.
Brian Houston is the Global Senior Pastor and founder of Hillsong Church. Since founding a single church in 1983 in Sydney, he has launched churches located in some of the world’s most influential cities, three record labels, a film and television platform, multiple worldwide conferences, and an international college. Each week, Hillsong’s music is sung by an estimated 50 million people in 60 languages, and Houston’s sermons are broadcast around the globe. In June 2016, Hillsong launched a global, 24-hour channel in partnership with Trinity Broadcasting Network, providing access to the worship and ministry to millions of viewers around the world. Through Hillsong’s college, conferences, podcasts, broadcasting and publishing, Houston trains and equips tens of thousands of Christian leaders and encourages countless others in their daily faith.
Bobbie Houston co-founded Hillsong Church in Australia with her husband Brian Houston in 1983. She currently serves alongside Brian as Co-Senior Pastor of Hillsong and oversees the organization’s women’s ministries, including Colour Conference and Hillsong Sisterhood. Colour is a global movement for women that places value on womanhood and takes place in five countries each year. Hillsong Sisterhood is a localized gathering, hosted simultaneously at Hillsong locations around the globe, for the women of the church.
Hillsong Church—includes the following programs and related ministries:
- Headquartered in Sydney, Hillsong has churches in city centres in 30 countries and on six continents. The church has an average global attendance of 150,000 weekly.
- Hillsong Worship: Since 1992, Hillsong Worship has created 46 albums with more than 300 songs. Each week, Hillsong Worship songs are sung by an estimated 50 million people in 60 languages. Hillsong Worship has toured in countries all over the world. Hillsong Worship releases an annual album. In January 2018, Hillsong Worship received a Grammy award for Best Contemporary Christian Song/Performance with their song What a Beautiful Name. Today, Hillsong Worship is a collaboration of Hillsong worship music coming out of the global expression of Hillsong Church. Their latest album, Awake, released October 2019.
- Hillsong UNITED: Formed in 1998, Hillsong UNITED is led by Brian and Bobbie’s son, Joel Houston. Hillsong UNITED has created 17 albums. Their song Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) from their album Zion reached double platinum status in the U.S. The group has toured for many years, packing out large venues like the Staples Centre in Los Angeles. In 2016, Hillsong UNITED was named Top Christian Artist at the Billboard Music Awards. Their latest album, People, released April 2019, and was the top selling album in the USA across all genres its release week.
- Young & Free (Y&F): More than a label, Hillsong’s youth music ministry, Young & Free, is the sound of the next generation of Hillsong music. Hillsong Young & Free has created three albums. In 2016, Young & Free were nominated for a Grammy award for Best Contemporary Christian Music Album with their album Youth Revival. Their latest album, III (Reimagined), released September 2019.
- Hillsong Conference: Since 1986, Hillsong in Australia has hosted its annual conferences where thousands of people gather to hear about church leadership, worship, and community engagement from Hillsong’s key team members and other renowned Christian leaders. In 2021, the conference will take place in Sydney (Jun. 29—Jul. 2) and in London (Jul. 28—30).
- Colour Conference: The Colour Conference was started by Bobbie Houston many years ago out of a deep desire to place value on women and encourage them to be all that God’s called them to be. Hillsong hosts this annual conference across five countries internationally each year. In 2021, the conference will take place in Sydney (Mar. 4–6 and Mar. 11–13), New York City (Mar. 19–20), Los Angeles (Mar. 26–27), Cape Town (Apr. 21–22 and Apr. 23–24), London (Apr. 29–May 1), Kiev (May 7–9) and in Moscow (May 14–15).
- Worship & Creative Conference: A brand new conference for worship leaders, songwriters, artists and designers, production teams, editors, filmmakers, dancers, vocalists, musicians, pastors, writers and creatives across all disciplines to steal away from the ordinary and create space to encounter Jesus. In 2020 this conference will take place in Sydney (Oct. 21—23).
- Located in Sydney and Phoenix, Hillsong College offers leadership and ministry courses to help shape future leaders around the world. Since its creation in 1995, over 10,000 students, representing more than 65 countries have graduated from the college.
- Launching on 1st of June, 2016, the Hillsong Channel broadcasts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is available to over 66 million homes in the US and another 164 million potential households around the globe. As of June 2018, people from 183 countries have watched the Hillsong Channel.
- Hillsong embraces opportunities to make a tangible difference in our local neighbourhoods and within our global community. We do this locally, through our CityCare community engagement initiatives, and globally (Because We Can) through partnership with key organisations with local expertise, and also through the Colour Sisterhood.
With their flagship campus in Sydney, Hillsong has churches in 30 countries on six continents:
- Australia: 98 services per weekend in 37 campuses across New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, Northern Territory, Western Australia
- Argentina: Buenos Aires
- Belgium, Brussels
- Brazil: São Paulo
- Canada: Two campuses in Toronto
- Denmark: Copenhagen
- England: Ten campuses.
- Fiji: Suva
- France: Four campuses across Paris, Lyon and Marseille
- Germany: Four campuses in Konstanz, Düsseldorf, Munich and Berlin
- Hungary, Budapest
- Indonesia: Bali
- Israel: Tel Aviv
- Italy: Three campuses in Milan, Rome and Naples
- Japan: Tokyo
- Kenya: Nairobi
- Mauritius: Moka
- Mexico: Monterrey
- Netherlands: Two campuses in Amsterdam and Rotterdam
- Norway: Eight Locations in Oslo, Stavanger, Sandnes, Drammen, Egersund, Kristiansand, Trondheim and Ålesund
- Portugal: Two main campuses in Lisbon and Porto, with five other campuses across the country
- Russia: Moscow
- Scotland: Edinburgh
- South Africa: Nine campuses across Cape Town, Pretoria and Johannesburg
- Spain: Two campuses in Barcelona and Madrid
- Sweden: Seven campuses in and around Stockholm and Malmö
- Switzerland: Two campuses in Zurich and Geneva
- Ukraine: Two locations in Kiev
- United States: New York City, New Jersey, Boston, Connecticut, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Francisco, Dallas, Kansas City and six campuses in and around Phoenix.
(Read more about Hillsong’s statement of beliefs.)